|Revised Stamp Duty rates 2019||1 April 2019|
On 1st April 2019, the St.Helena Government introduced a revised schedule of Stamp Duty payable by purchasers of property on St.Helena.
The headline rate is a flat 2.5% of the value of the property, but there are some nuances:
- For first-time buyers who are St.Helena residents, the first £100,000 is free of Stamp Duty
- For properties valued at up to £150,000, the rate is 2.5%, with the first £10,000 duty-free
- For properties valued at over £150,000. the excess rate is 3%
- For properties valued at over £500,000, the excess rate is 5%
- For second properties, the rate is as above plus 2.5% of the whole value
(Note: A first-time buyer means a buyer who does not own property ANYWHERE in the world!.
Also, when considering second properties, only properties on St.Helena count)
For full details of the Stamp Duty rates, see the Ordinance here